Basic Whole Chicken
Active time: 15 minutes Total: 1 hour 35 minutes Great on it’s own or for any recipe that calls for cooked chicken
- 2 tbs unsalted butter softened
- 2 tbs chopped fresh herbs such as sage, rosemary, and/or thyme, divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt divided
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 4-5 lb whole chicken
- 1 small lemon halved crosswise
- 1 medium head arlic halved crosswise
- 3 medium carrots cut into 3 inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- Position rack in the bottom third of oven; preheat to 375.
- Combine butter, 1 tablespoon herbs, ½ tsp salt and pepper in a small bowl. Remove giblets from chicken and reserve for another use. Loosen and lift the skin from the breast with your fingers and spread the butter mixture under it, starting at the neck end. Place lemon and garlic in the cavity. Tie the legs together with chicken string. Place carrots, celery and onion in a large broiler-safe pot. Place the chicken breast side up on the vegetables and put the lid on.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour. Increase oven temperature to broil. Uncover and broil until golden brown and a thermometer inserted in a thigh without touching bone registers 165 F – 6 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 1 tablespoon of herbs and ½ tsp salt.
Serves 6: About 3 ½ oz without skin each Calories: 247 Carbs 6g Fat 11g Protein 29g