Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore with Cauliflower Mash
Active: 25 min Total: 8 hours 25 min
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms
- ½ tsp kosher salt divided
- 3 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 3 tbs minced garlic
- ¼ c chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ c red wine
- 4 lbs bone-in skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 28 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 c unsalted chicken broth
- ½ cup drained capers
- ¼ cup pitted kalamata olives
- 3 cups water
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into florets or a bag
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ fresh torn basil
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, onion, mushrooms and ¼ tsp salt; cook stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add flour, tomato paste, garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper; cooking, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in wine; cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, broth, and capers. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board, let cool for 5 minutes. Remove bones and return the meat to the slow cooker. Stir in olives and the remaining ¼ tsp salt. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, steam cauliflower until tender (about 10 minutes). Transfer ½ cauliflower into food processor, cover blend on high, add remaining cauliflower and parmesan and blend until creamy.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over the mashed cauliflower and top with fresh basil.
Serves 8: 1 ½ chicken with sauce & ½ cup mashed cauliflower. Nutrition Facts Servings 8.0 Amount Per Serving calories 417 % Daily Value * Total Fat 16 g 24 % Saturated Fat 4 g 22 % Monounsaturated Fat 2 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 199 mg 66 % Sodium 839 mg 35 % Potassium 370 mg 11 % Total Carbohydrate 15 g 5 % Dietary Fiber 4 g 17 % Sugars 6 g Protein 53 g 105 % Vitamin A 36 % Vitamin C 110 % Calcium 24 % Iron 21 %